Thursday, October 21, 2010

Impatient Patient


Okay, so the title is a little misleading.

In all honesty, I was quite patient.

I waited patiently in the exam room for 45 minutes. Had I been at the dentist or the hospital, someone would have popped their head in to explain that the doctor was running late. Ironically, everyone at the optometrist lacked the foresight to offer this courtesy. Instead, the doctor casually strolls into the exam room and makes no mention of why he was tardy, nor offers an apology for the unnecessary wait.

Instead, he smiles, and pretends that nothing wrong has happened.

In fact, no one had the decency to comment on it at all until AFTER I verify that I arrived on time for my appointment, and not 30 minutes early. Even then, the only person who apologized for the wait was someone who had, up until that point, had no direct contact with me whatsoever.

Yes, I appreciated his apology, but he had nothing to apologize for. In fact, I felt compelled to apologize to him for being put into the position where he had to apologize for actions that he had neither control or knowledge of.

For the record, if you are ever running late, regardless of who you are, and you know you are running late, and you can't contact the person waiting, at least have the courtesy to spend the extra two seconds needed to apologize and take responsibility for your delay. Do not pretend everything is running smoothly and hope they have already forgotten about the time you have wasted. Furthermore, don't have someone completely unconnected to the event apologize for you only after your lateness has been commented on. They have nothing to apologize for. Do the right thing. Be forthright and accountable.

Please...

Thank you.

1 comment:

havechanged said...

Yeah, I feel that it should be almost expected that you won't be seen on time. Yet, I always show up 15 minutes early. *sigh*