Saturday, September 12, 2009

Moebius

A few weeks ago, my friend Dan decided to create a list of his top ten musicians who had influenced him the most. He then challenged me to do the same. Since I am NOT a musician, I took this to mean he wanted me to focus on comic creators.

So I did.

Here is the first of ten posts outlining the ten comic creators to influence me the most, and the lesson I've learned from them.



#10 Moebius

Moebius, aka Jean Henri Gaston Giraud, aka Jean Giraud, aka Gir, is the French comiker best known for writing and illustrating a gritty western comics serial known as Blueberry,






as well as a series of time and space spanning adventures called The Airtight Garage.






Though the work of Moebius didn’t come into my life until after college, it came at a very influential point. The work of Moebius, aside from being gorgeous, is also completed over years. Jean Giraud did not rush himself while making any of his best stories. In fact, some stories feature pages of work that jump back and forth between decades.





Lesson Learned: Great work takes time. You can’t rush genius.

No comments: